Stellenausschreibung: University Assistant (post doc) at the Department of Geography and Regional Research, University of Vienna
Reference number: 11391
Founded in 1885 the Department of Geography and Regional Research is the oldest and biggest geography department in Austria. It is home to more than 80 researchers as well as general staff in 7 working groups, and 3,000 students. From the beginning, it has accommodated both human and physical geography. This interdisciplinary basis in social and natural sciences provides a dynamic and inspiring environment for researchers to address the grand societal challenges of our time.
The position is assigned to the research group Population Geography and Demography, which seeks to pursue theoretically-founded and empirically-informed research at the interface of population dynamics, environmental change, and social transformation processes.
We seek an outstanding and enthusiastic scientist who will contribute to the research of large-scale data sets for the analysis of the migration-environment nexus.
Duration of employment: 6 year/s
Extent of Employment: 40 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
- Contribution to the on-going research on environment and migration; development of an own profile within this field
- International publishing and presentation activities in the field of environment and migration
- Field visits and fieldwork in the Global South
- Acquisition of third-party funding
- Independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Supervision of students
- Science management
- PhD / Doctoral degree in the field of Geography, Demography, Sociology, Social Anthropology, or a related discipline with a focus on quantitative methods
- Professional competence in handling large-scale datasets
- Proven ability to publish in international journals
- Proven competence in statistics
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Willingness to contribute to teaching and science management
- Knowledge in GIS is an asset
- Experience in empirical field research in the Global South is an asset
|Main research field||Special research fields||Importance|
|Human Geography, Regional Geography, Regional Planning||Population geography||MUST|
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 21.11.2020, mentioning reference number 11391.
For further information please contact Mayer, Karin +43-1-4277-48603, Sakdapolrak, Patrick +43-1-4277-48730.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 11391