Stellenausschreibung: Universität Wien - Tenure-Track Professor in the field of Data Science Pathways to Galaxy Evolution
The University of Vienna is internationally renowned for its excellence in teaching and research, and counts more than 7,500 academics from all disciplines. This breadth of expertise offers unique opportunities to address the complex challenges of modern society, to develop comprehensive new approaches, and educate the problem-solvers of tomorrow from a multidisciplinary perspective.
The Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy at the University of Vienna seeks to appoint a Tenure-Track Professor in the field of Data Science Pathways to Galaxy Evolution.
This tenure track professorship lies at the intersection of astrophysics and data science, combining cutting-edge methodologies with profound fundamental questions in extragalactic astrophysics. Using data-driven approaches to take full advantage of state-of-the-art observations and simulations of galaxies, it seeks to understand key aspects of the formation, growth, and transformation of galaxies across cosmic epochs. This research aligns with the broader astronomical community's efforts to leverage computational advances and large amounts of complex data to unlock the secrets and gain a deeper understanding of the cosmos.
Your academic profile:
- Doctoral degree/PhD
- Two years of international research experience during or after doctoral studies
- Outstanding research achievements, excellent publication and funding record, international reputation
- Experience in designing of and participating in research projects, ability to lead research groups and acquire third-party funding
- Enthusiasm for excellent teaching and supervision at the bachelor's, master's, and doctoral level
We expect the successful candidate to acquire, within three years, proficiency in German sufficient for teaching in bachelor’s programmes and for participation in university committees.
- the opportunity to obtain a permanent position and eventual promotion to full professor; the initial contract as Assistant Professor is limited to six years, after positive evaluation of a qualification agreement the contract becomes permanent as Associate Professor; Associate Professors can be promoted to Full Professor through an internal competitive procedure.
- a dynamic research environment
- a wide range of research and teaching support services
- attractive working conditions in a city with a high quality of life
- an attractive salary according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement for University Staff (level A2) and an organisational retirement plan
Application documents (in English):
- Letter of motivation
- Academic curriculum vitae
- education and training (PhD Certificate, PDF)
- positions held to date
- parental, family or other care leaves as applicable
- awards and honors
- commissions of trust
- previous and current cooperation partners
- complete list of acquired third-party funding and, if applicable, of inventions/patents
- list of most important scientific talks (max. 10)
- teaching and mentoring
- supervision experience (Master and PhD), if applicable
- List of publications
- link to your own publicly accessible ORCID record, with a complete and current publication list
- three key publications as electronic full text version (PDF, max 30 MB)
- Research statement
- most important research achievements (max. 2 pages) and planned future research activities (max. 4 pages)
- synopsis of three key publications with relevance to the position advertised
- publication strategy
- Teaching and supervision statement
- teaching and supervision concept, including a description of the previous and planned priorities in academic teaching and supervision (max. 2 pages)
- teaching evaluations (if available, PDF)
If you have any questions, please contact:
Only applications submitted through the link below will be considered.
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
Application deadline: 12/22/2023
Reference no.: 1644